It's about to be that time of year when all the wrong straps make their way out of the layers of clothes you've been wearing and harass innocent onlookers to the point of wanting to nominate you for a "What Not To Wear" episode (hands up if you miss Stacy and Clinton).
Here's your list of wardrobe do's and don'ts, bad straps and more, in case you forgot what my voice sounds like rattling in your ear with these directives.
1. Do not show your bra or bra straps. Ever, ever, ever. Not even the pretty lacy ones that are being sold as actual "bra tops." Do invest in a racerback bra and a strapless bra. My favorite picks for the best bras, and other shapewear, are inside February's Style Vault.
2. Do not wear (wide) ankle straps with skirts and dresses. Narrow ones are ok in some cases, when they hit across the narrowest part of your ankle. Wide ankle straps really never are. Do wear your ankle strap shoes under pants and jeans, so the strap doesn't show. Or in some cases with ankle jeans.
3. Do not wear a long-sleeve shirt under a short-sleeve shirt. I mean, are there still people out there doing this reverse layering party trick? Yes. So stop. If you're cold, wear a sweater or a jacket on the outside, like normal people.
4. Be careful with the ripped/shredded jeans trend that is everywhere. If you're a cool, hip, young thing or can pull it off as a middle-ager, go for it. Otherwise, you'll look homeless or like you're trying to date your son's friends and that's gross. I do have a friend who is in her 40's, and she wears ripped jeans. She's way cool. I might be able to think of one other person who can do this, possibly my sister. But the majority of us look like we're trying too hard to be trendy. You can, however, pull off the frayed hem jean. This trend, I love. Which is saying a lot for me.
5. Last spring it was all about sheer panels. This year, it's the crop top. Do not attempt a crop top unless you are impersonating Britney Spears for Hallowe'en, or you are still under the age of 28. Or, if you really do know how to wear one, you'll know that a crop top can only be worn with a very high-waisted pant, which is another can of worms altogether.
Look, we're just trying to keep you from looking stupid. We want you to be stylishly and fabulously current and modern, but certainly not outdated or look ridiculously too young or old. Mkay pumpkin?
Thanks for reading and be sure to check out our personalized Nashville wardrobe consulting services for men and women. Experience the luxury of having us in your home and shopping the stores for you, then putting it all together. We’re in our 8th year of making the world a better place, one good outfit at a time.
And if you're not in Nashville? You need the Style Vault. Stat.
Stay warm and all the best,
Thank you Deidre DeFelice for the photography!